Loading...
Newcleus: Pioneers of Electro and Old School Hip Hop
asked 3 days ago
0
14
Loading...
0 Answers


No Responses Found
The response board is empty. Make it rain with your brilliant response.
1
1
0

I’ll never forget the first time I heard Newcleus. I was a young boy working a paper round (delivering newspapers), and the guy who managed the routes for the paperboys (yes, all boys) was a good few years older than us, and he was seriously into his music. He introduced me to the pirate (illegal) radio station JFM (Jazz-Funk Music), and the rest, forgive the phrase, was history. I can’t remember the name of the DJ’s show where I first heard the seminal ‘Jam On It’ but I clearly remember feeling the earth move under my feet—a tectonic shift in my reality—the world changed. I frantically sought out more music from them, and a close friend of mine’s brother was also seriously into his music, and that was where I managed to get a tape copy of their seminal LP “Jam on Revenge” (along with Egyptian Lover’s first LP ‘’On The Nile'—but I’ll save that for the appropriate article).
Suffice it to say, things were never quite the same after that.

Let’s dive into the history of Newcleus:
Newcleus emerged in the early 1980s in Brooklyn, New York. They were a ground-breaking force in the realms of electro and old-school hip-hop, defining the electro genre by melding hip-hop with electronic funk. Their pioneering use of drum machines and synthesizers shaped the sound of electro, influencing a wide range of music genres. The group's journey began in 1976 with Jam-On Productions, featuring key members like Ben "Cozmo D" Cenac, his cousin Monique Angevin, and her brother Pete. They were later joined by Yvette "Lady E" Cook and Bob "Chilly B" Crafton, expanding the collective's talent and influence.
** Ben "Cozmo D" Cenac**
By 1981, Cenac had transformed Jam-On Productions into Newcleus, with Cozmo D, Lady E, Monique Angevin, and Chilly B at its core. This transition marked the beginning of a new era in electro music, where they started recording under the Newcleus name. The name "Newcleus" itself, a play on the word "nucleus," symbolizes the union of their families, forming the group's core. This familial bond and collaborative spirit underscored their approach to music and contributed to their uniquely fresh sound.
Newcleus gained fame with their 1983 hit "Jam-On's Revenge," which climbed the R&B charts and introduced their unique sound to a broader audience. Their subsequent 1984 track "Jam On It" further cemented their status, breaking into the Billboard Hot 100 and becoming an electro-funk anthem. Along with other tracks like "Computer Age (Push the Button)" and "Automan," these songs showcased their innovative use of synthesizers and drum machines, particularly the Roland TR-808.

The phrase "wikki wikki wikki," from their hit "Jam On's Revenge," originated from a playful taunt and became a signature element of their style, emblematic of the era's DJ culture and hip-hop style scratching techniques.
Despite the loss of Chilly B in 2010, Newcleus continues to resonate with fans, both old and new, both through performances and new material. Their legacy in shaping the electro sound is a testament to their innovation and enduring appeal in the music industry.